Friday, December 8, 2017

Humectants!

Hello!!

I hope that everything is going well for you. Me? Oh ya know...work, striving to be better on my health journey...all of that fun stuff lol 


This blog will be about....HUMECTANTS!!! Humectants are an ingredient found in hair products that attract moisture from the environment. This ultimately moisturizes your hair. When I first became natural, humectants were my saving grace during the winter time. I would experiment with different styling products and applications, realizing how buttery soft my hair became (no lie, ask my momma). I did not understand what the heck a humectant was until after researching the ingredients of my hair products. 

Natural hair is already fragile. However, during the winter months, natural hair can be as fragile as Derrick Rose's joints (yes, I am from Chicago. I still said what I said). Winter is when one really has to be extremely vigilant with hair care. This is where humectants come in: they provide some assistance in circumventing hair breakage with their moisture-attracting qualities. There are two categories of humectants: synthetic and natural humectants. 

Synthetic:
  • Butylene glycol
  • Glycerin
  • Urea
  • Tremella extract
  • Sorbitol
  • Dicyanamide
  • Sodium PCA
  • Sodium lactate

Natural:
  • Hyaluronic acid
  • Aloe
  • Alpha hydroxy acid
  • Honey
  • Seaweed, algae, and other marine extracts 
See the source image  See the source image


Ideally, natural humectants are recommended. However, synthetics work just as well (please keep in mind that synthetic humectants have the potential to dry your hair out over a period of time).

Be sure to check your products and see if some of the ingredients are a humectant. You will definitely be one step closer to moisturized hair in the winter time :). 


I hope that this helps! 

Talk to you soon. 
Brie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment